Building Inspector office hours:
- Mondays and Tuesdays from 8 a.m. to noon.
- Wednesdays and Thursdays from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- The Building Inspector not available on Fridays.
Inspections may be booked from by calling 250-474-3196 at least 48 hours in advance on
- Mondays and Tuesdays from noon to 4 p.m.
- Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
A building permit is required before beginning
- construction of a building or a structure, including accessory structures and buildings
- alteration or addition to a structure or a building
- completion of an undeveloped area of a building
- construction of an secondary suite
- structural repair or change to a structure or building
- demolition of a structure or building or part of a structure
- construction of a swimming pool
- installation of heating appliances, such as woodstoves and inserts
- moving a building
- change of use or occupancy of a building or premises
- installation, repair or replacement of a plumbing fixture or system
- installation of a manufactured home
The District of Metchosin issues permits for building construction, plumbing installations, woodstoves, fireplaces, inserts, and blasting, as well as assigning addresses for new homes. The Building Inspector is available to answer inquiries relating to the British Columbia Building Code and District bylaws.
Driveway Access Application
The driveway access application fee is $50.
The BC Riparian Areas Regulation may affect your development. The regulation encourages responsible development. It helps you conduct your activities responsibly to avoid degrading valuable riparian fish habitat.
Information on Secondary Suites & Detached Secondary Suites in the District of Metchosin.
|Metchosin Building Permits and Inspections||250-474-3196|
|Vancouver Island Health Authority (Septic Tank Info and Permits)||250-519-3401|
|BC Electrical Inspector||250-952-4444|
|BC Land Title Office||250-387-6121|
|Homeowner Protection Office
Requests for Building Plans
Prospective home buyers, real estate agents, or residents often request historical information on houses in Metchosin. Some property files have building permit records dating back to 1970. If you are considering an addition or renovation project, it may be helpful to look at the existing house plans before applying for a permit. For security purposes, only owners or the listing real estate agent are permitted to see house plans.
If you are requesting Property Information (includes Building Permit history, date of occupancy, zoning information, legal description), please contact the District of Metchosin directly at 250-474-3167 . PLEASE NOTE: there may be Property Service Fees associated with this type of request in accordance with the District's Fees Bylaw 2008, No. 547
- Council Members
- Council Meetings
- Public Participation
- Advisory Committees
- Grant in Aid Program
- Metchosin Mail
- Annual Reports
- Elections & Voting
- Disability Committee
- Municipal Hall
- Animal Regulation
- Building & Development
- Burning Regulation
- Business Licences
- Bylaws and Documents
- Emergency Program
- Fire Protection
- Official Community Plan
- Roads & Bridges
- Sign Regulations
- Soil Permits
- Taxes & Budgets
- Tree Cutting Permits
- Community Awards
- Proposed Boundary Adjustment
- Community Calendar
- Community Organizations
- Construction Services
- Community History
- Environment & Wildlife
- Personal Services
- Garbage & Recycling
- Metchosin Muse
- Restaurants & Food
- Parks & Recreation
- Population & Statistics
- Regional Services
- Contact Us